Vanquishing My Debt

I'm 29 and trying to get a handle on my finances so that, one day, I can buy a home of my own. I've been reading personal finance blogs recently and decided to start one chronicling my own struggles and success (hopefully). I am lucky, considering the amounts of debt and tales of tragedy I've read about... but I am making some positive changes and moving in the right direction.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Monday, August 07, 2006

My almost best friend...the crockpot

One of the keys to us eating dinner at home is having good food that we like... duh, right? This is one of my favourite crockpot recipes, for spicy chicken tacos. I don't remember where I found this recipe online, or I would surely give credit and many thanks!

4 boneless chicken breasts (I remove the skin, too, out of personal preference)
2 cans of tomatoes and green chilis
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1 clove of garlic, chopped
1 tsp dried onion (I usually just chop half an onion and throw it in)
salt and pepper to taste

Mix tomatoes and green chilis in a bowl with onions and spices. Pour half of this mix into the bottom of the crockpot. Lay the chicken on top (bonus: the chicken can even be frozen), then cover with the rest of the mixture. Cook in crockpot for 5-7 hours on HIGH, or 10-12 hours on LOW, until the meat begins to fall apart. Stir every now and then to break up the chicken and keep crocking.

This is one of my favourite recipes because it's cheap, too. I buy and freeze chicken breasts when it goes on sale for less than $1 a pound, so I use maybe $2 of chicken in this. Another $1.50 or so for the tomatoes and green chilis (the best deal I've found is at Walmart - about $0.69 a can for the generic brand) brings the grand total to $3.50 for enough meat to make approx. 12-14 burritos or tacos. If you want to stretch the chicken even further, add a can of beans into the crockpot... I love black beans.

This is one of those easy, time-saving recipes that is great for a family meal, and also great if you're having guests - just set up a taco station where people can add their own toppings and condiments.

Definitely try it - I think it rivals the chicken at Chipotle, which is one of our favourite Mexican food restaurants. A chicken burrito there costs more than this recipe does.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home