Vanquishing My Debt

I'm 29 and trying to get a handle on my finances so that, one day, I can buy a home of my own. I've been reading personal finance blogs recently and decided to start one chronicling my own struggles and success (hopefully). I am lucky, considering the amounts of debt and tales of tragedy I've read about... but I am making some positive changes and moving in the right direction.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Spending money to stay healthy

I read a great post called Your Money or Your Health over at Ms. Money's Blog. Ms. Money specifically talks about spending money to see alternative healers that aren't covered by insurance. This is a topic that I've been thinking about a lot (in a slightly different direction) since I've cut our grocery budget down in the last few months.

When planning your grocery budget, do you all go for cheap food, healthy food or a combination of the two? I understand that, especially when cooking from scratch, the food tends to be both healthier and cheaper than the pre-made version. But some food is so tempting just because it's dirt cheap... like everybody's friend, Ramen noodles.

Ramen Noodles - they cost like, $1 for 12. That's a very cheap lunch. There may be no such thing as a free lunch, but there's always Ramen, and that's pretty darn close. But then you read the nutritional chart on the package and find out that it's full of sodium and pretty nutritionally devoid of anything. Do you keep buying it because it's cheap, or do you buck up and buy something better yet more expensive?

I'm especially curious because I'm trying to adopt better eating habits to lose weight and become healthier... while trying to stick to the budget. Maybe I just need to up my budget. Or expand my horizons a bit.

What food do you eat that's reasonably cheap and healthy?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Girl, I hear you! I've been testing and tweaking my grocery budget to find the balance between healthy stuff (we'll actually eat) at the house, or healthier eating out choices (sit down and have a salad- but no soda). If we could live of cereal around my house we would!

1:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home