Vanquishing My Debt

I'm 29 and trying to get a handle on my finances so that, one day, I can buy a home of my own. I've been reading personal finance blogs recently and decided to start one chronicling my own struggles and success (hopefully). I am lucky, considering the amounts of debt and tales of tragedy I've read about... but I am making some positive changes and moving in the right direction.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Friday, August 25, 2006

VoIP as a money-saver

I was talking to a co-worker who's getting VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) at her home this weekend and she's looking forward to getting the first telephone company bill - minus the long-distance fees!

We live here in Southern California, and she has family and in-laws in Arizona, Chicago, and in several Southern states. So the long-distance bill was a good size every month... which is something I haven't thought about in years, since all my family is local. Her teenage son is looking forward to talking to his favourite uncle in Chicago a lot more often.

This is a really neat service, one that I've heard about a lot lately, but didn't really know too much about. I wish this had been a possibility when I was long-distance dating my ex-boyfriend 7-8 years ago!

My co-worker is estimating that her family can save at least $65 a month, just by not racking up long distance charges. That's almost $800 a year!

How many PF bloggers out there have switched to VoIP for the savings?

1 Comments:

Blogger Kris said...

Hmmm...haven't tried that, we get free LD with our cell phone...but interesting.

I just read through your blog, love that you're following Dave Ramsey - we are, too! Good luck on your journey - I'll be checking back in to say hi at times! :)

8:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home