Vanquishing My Debt

I'm 29 and trying to get a handle on my finances so that, one day, I can buy a home of my own. I've been reading personal finance blogs recently and decided to start one chronicling my own struggles and success (hopefully). I am lucky, considering the amounts of debt and tales of tragedy I've read about... but I am making some positive changes and moving in the right direction.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

My latest adventure in combining couponing and sales

This is one for the books, ladies and gentlemen. I am way too pleased with myself. Some might even say I need to be taken down a peg or two.

Maybe a month ago, I signed up online to receive coupons for a free bottle of L'Oreal HIP foundation make up. I got 2 in the mail and stuck them in my coupon organizer, where I figured they'd languish until I needed more make up.

Last week, Rite Aid was advertising the same brand of make up as buy one, get one free. So I went and got in line with 4 bottles, hoping the clerk would not get militant about their duty to protect the Rite Aid fortune.

Luckily, the clerk I got was a very amused middle-aged guy, who talked about how his wife would be jealous when she heard about this coup. My final total for $52 worth of make up (4 bottles at $13 a bottle) was only the sales tax... $2.15! I live for stuff like this! R was stunned and tickled as well.

I can't wait until our debt is paid off so that we can do what everyone recommends - saving what you save. It would have been even better to be able to put that extra $50 into our savings account.

I really love this idea of combining coupons with sales like this one. It turns saving money into a game, and I love games.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home