Vanquishing My Debt

I'm 29 and trying to get a handle on my finances so that, one day, I can buy a home of my own. I've been reading personal finance blogs recently and decided to start one chronicling my own struggles and success (hopefully). I am lucky, considering the amounts of debt and tales of tragedy I've read about... but I am making some positive changes and moving in the right direction.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Thursday, November 30, 2006

Do personal politics affect where you contribute and link to other blogs?

One of my favourite blogs is one that features a weekly list of household tips, tricks, recipes, etc. contributed through links by other bloggers. This compilation of links is actually something I look forward to reading each week - it entertains me and is sometimes informative or even inspiring. The blog owner is a religious conservative, but since I'm there only for this weekly feature, as opposed to their regular blog posts (which I don't even read), it doesn't matter. I've thought about contributing my own ideas, which would mean linking my blog to theirs... but I'm very sloth-like when it comes to getting things like this done, so it hasn't happened yet.

Today I'm looking over the other blog and there have been some new pics and links added to the sidebar, affirming the blogger's personal stance on religious/political issues that I am not in support of. One or two of these issues are my most passionate causes, but from the other perspective.

Now I'm rethinking contributing and putting a link on my blog to this. Is this silly? Am I overreacting and making a mountain out of a molehill? Would I be supporting this other blogger's beliefs and opinions by linking to them? I have no problem with the other blog owner's personal opinions, truly, I don't. But by contributing, am I silently endorsing these sentiments by sending the small (okay, miniscule) traffic I have her way?

How does stuff like this affect where you post and contribute? Do you think twice about sending readers to sites that advertise views you don't agree with?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The beliefs and overall behavior of a blog definitely affects whether I link to them or not, but the biggest question I ask myself is whether they're being intellectually honest or not. I have no problems linking to anyone on the political spectrum if I feel that they're truly honest in their beliefs. On the other hand, if I read a blog entry that's nothing more than a paid shill, I'll never link to them.

12:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As long as it's good content, I'll link to it. I realize that there are many opinions other than my own in politics and religion. As long as they don't discriminate against people with different views (such as my own views), I'm fine with it.

4:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home