Vanquishing My Debt

I'm 29 and trying to get a handle on my finances so that, one day, I can buy a home of my own. I've been reading personal finance blogs recently and decided to start one chronicling my own struggles and success (hopefully). I am lucky, considering the amounts of debt and tales of tragedy I've read about... but I am making some positive changes and moving in the right direction.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Tuesday, February 13, 2007

I rented the film "Millions" this weekend



I love this movie and couldn't recommend it more to families who want to start some discussions about money with their kids! Hey, I'm 29 and I thought it rocked, but I can see the potential for lots of family talking points inspired by this film.

In a nutshell, a young European boy finds a bag of money that seemingly fell from the sky. He and his brother count it, revealing an astronomical amount of cash. They decide to keep it and not tell their father. The youngest brother wants to donate it to the poor, while the oldest brother wants to invest in real estate (difficult to do when you're still in grade school) and buy expensive toys. Drama ensues when they find out that it's actually money that was stolen while en route to be incinerated since the country will be switching to Euros in a matter of days. Should they tell their dad? Should they keep it or return it to the government, who will burn it? Can stolen money be redeemed if it's donated to a charitable cause? What happens when one of the thieves who stole it realizes who has the money?

Several subplots also stress the idea of telling your parents when you're in trouble, which is always a good lesson to hammer home, and the importance of donating something, even if it's just a little, to charity.

I thought this was a fabulous film... thought-provoking and interesting for adults, but especially so for children. Plus it's made by Danny Boyle (of Trainspotting fame), so it's visually interesting and attention-grabbing. I couldn't suggest renting this movie enough.

Who knew? Thought-provoking money issues in a family film. :)

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home